Turmeric also known as, “the golden spice” is a popular ingredient used in cooking. The plant was grown widely during the Harappan civilization. The powder is obtained by grinding the underground stem called “rhizome”, which is yellowish orange juicy stem.
It belongs to the ginger family and also used as a strong dyeing agent. Besides using it as a spice for food preparation, it is also use in Ayurveda to treat many diseases. It is best for skin, purifying blood, lungs, liver and heart. It helps in regulating the reproductive system of women and also helps in purifying the breast milk and uterus. It even helps in building up men’s semen.
It acts as an Analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-tumor, anti-allergic, antiseptic, anti-oxidant, appetizer, cardiovascular, antispasmodic, carminative, digestive, stimulant, diuretic, etc for our body. It helps in reducing fever, diarrhea, urinary disorder, poisoning, and cough.
Ayurveda has proved that this multi-usage spice can also help in treating various diseases by knowing its proper use. Here are some diseases and its remedies are listed below.
- Anemia – It can be cured by taking 1 tsp of its juice with honey everyday for one time.
- Asthma – Boil 1 cup of milk by adding 1 tsp of its powder and drink it warm.
- Burns – For healing burns mix 1 tsp of its powder with 1 tsp of aloe gel and then apply it to the burnt part.
- Conjunctivitis – Take 1 teaspoon of powdered raw turmeric and 1/3rd cup of water, mix and boil it. Then sieve the mixture and use 2-3 drops of it in both the eyes for at least 3 times a day.
- Dental problem:- For this, make a paste by adding 1tsp of its powder, ½ tsp of salt and mustard oil. Then apply this paste on gums and teeth for at least twice a day.
- Diabetes – It can be cured by simply taking ½ to 1 tsp of its powder at least 3 times in a day.
- Diarrhea – Taking ½ tsp of its juice or powder at least 3 times in a day can help in curing it.
- Pain – Mix 1 tsp of its powder with 2 tsp of ginger and make a paste and then soak a cloth in it and put it on the affected part and cover it.
Besides these, it also helps in Detoxifying the liver, balancing the level of cholesterol, fight allergies, improving digestive system, boosting up immunity, enhancing the skin complexion, etc. It is even used as an ingredient while preparing cosmetic creams, as it is favorable for skin. Inhaling its smoke can help in getting rid of cough and nasal blockage.
It can also help in curing the disease of piles and stop rectal bleeding. A carminative helps in balancing disturbed digestive system by getting relief of gas and distention.
Thus, taking Turmeric in a proper way in your day-to-day life can help you to keep many of the diseases at bay, you need to improve your digestion, and you can even treat your skin related problems naturally without any side effects.